The National Aviary is America's only independent indoor nonprofit zoo dedicated exclusively to birds. Located in West Park on Pittsburgh's historic North Side, the National Aviary is home to a diverse collection of more than 400 birds from around the world, many of them threatened or endangered in the wild. In our large walk-through exhibits, visitors get up close and personal with our free-flying flock. Through our staff and volunteer-led daily programs, guests learn the importance of avian life in the natural world.
If you would like to help inspire a respect of nature through an appreciation of birds, consider joining our team of dedicated volunteers!
How to join the Adult Volunteer Program at the National Aviary:
1) Complete a volunteer application.
2) Learn about volunteering at the National Aviary by attending our next Volunteer Opportunities meeting! Our next Volunteer Opportunities will be Saturday, October 11th from 1:00 - 3:00 pm.
When you complete the online application, you will be registered to attend.
3) Complete applications includes the authorizations for your criminal record and child abuse investigations. We will need the background investigation authorization and the ORIGINAL child abuse investigation authorization back for processing. We must have satisfactory clearances on both of these investigations in order for you to volunteer at the National Aviary. Please note that prospective volunteers are asked to pay for the investigations which are then submitted by the National Aviary once you have satisfactorily completed step three.
4) Interview with National Aviary staff and volunteer leaders.
There are many opportunities to volunteer and many skill sets needed to effectively run our Aviary programs. This interview helps us to assess your interests and compatibility with our expected needs, along with your schedule of availability.
5) Attend the National Aviary’s formal Volunteer Orientation and Training Programs (November 1st). You may be invited after a satisfactory criminal records check.
These classes are a requisite prior to your first volunteer experience at the Aviary.
Acceptance into the National Aviary Volunteer Program is dependent upon satisfactory completion of all four steps as determined by the National Aviary. Initial and ongoing volunteer status is always at the sole discretion of the National Aviary of Pittsburgh, Inc.
Teen Volunteer Program
The teen volunteer program is open to students who will be 14-17 by June 1, 2014. You can find more information here.
If you are interested in becoming a teen volunteer, please complete an application by May 1, 2014.